LiveWire Network Peer Answers Peer Support Teen Forums Tech Forums College Forums 195 users online 272907 members 187 active today Advertise Here Sign In
TeenCollegeTechPhotos | Quizzes | LiveSecret | Memberlist | Dictionary | FAQ
Member Spotlight
candyrapper
Music: older rock,neil young ccr rap of all ty...
Mood: Plain
You have 1 new message.
Emergency Help
Until you sign up you can't do much. Yes, it's free.

Sign Up Now
Membername:
Password:
Already have an account?
Invite Friends
Active Members
Groups
Contests
Moderators
0 online / 0 MPM
Fresh Topics
  LiveWire / Teen Forums / Politics & Government / Viewing Topic

hours at minimum wage needed to work to afford rent (USA)
Replies: 393Last Post April 25, 2012 10:42pm by jakelong
Welcome to LiveWire!
We're Stronger Together.
Join the Community
Pages: 1 2 3 4 .. 24 25 26 27  Next » Email Print Favorite
( King Kong  )


My Precious

Patron
Reply

So if anyone lives on minimum wage, and affords rent, then they are working pretty darn hard!

-------
The world would be a poorer place without Doctor Who - Steven Spielberg

Follow me on twitter: @IrfonPennant


3:07 pm on Mar. 26, 2012 | Joined: Feb. 2006 | Days Active: 2,630
Join to learn more about King Kong Wales | Straight Male | Posts: 47,653 | Points: 74,095
LiveWire Humor
DiamondRio

Lawn Care Specialist
Reply
My boyfriend lives off miniumum wage and works 100 hours per week. You can't live off it at 40 hours. Don't make min wage.

3:10 pm on Mar. 26, 2012 | Joined: Sep. 2011 | Days Active: 91
Join to learn more about DiamondRio United States | Posts: 545 | Points: 98
lollerwhat


Dairy Product Addict
Reply
Does it mention the fact that some states have minimum wages higher than the federal minimum wage?

Are you smart enough to understand the idea that you can afford rent if you have a few mates sharing rent, especially with a two bedroom apartment?

-------
LW as a community supports and encourages false
accusations of sex crimes, especially against children.


3:10 pm on Mar. 26, 2012 | Joined: Oct. 2010 | Days Active: 698
Join to learn more about lollerwhat Texas, United States | Posts: 18,337 | Points: 24,804
( King Kong  )


My Precious

Patron
Reply
Quote: from lollerwhat at 11:10 pm on Mar. 26, 2012

Does it mention the fact that some states have minimum wages higher than the federal minimum wage?  

Are you smart enough to understand the idea that you can afford rent if you have a few mates sharing rent, especially with a two bedroom apartment?


Yes I am. But it doesn't mean they're not working hard

you have to remember there's only 168 hours in a week

Post edited at 3:15 pm on Mar. 26, 2012 by King Kong

-------
The world would be a poorer place without Doctor Who - Steven Spielberg

Follow me on twitter: @IrfonPennant


3:13 pm on Mar. 26, 2012 | Joined: Feb. 2006 | Days Active: 2,630
Join to learn more about King Kong Wales | Straight Male | Posts: 47,653 | Points: 74,095
heat23


Dairy Product Addict
Reply
It all depends on how much rent is & where yu live. Rents in ca are outragious & unjustified but the landlords get away with it.

3:14 pm on Mar. 26, 2012 | Joined: Dec. 2008 | Days Active: 315
Join to learn more about heat23 California, United States | Straight Male | Posts: 155 | Points: 3,359
barnabas


#teamVA

Patron
Reply
Quote: from lollerwhat at 6:10 pm on Mar. 26, 2012

Does it mention the fact that some states have minimum wages higher than the federal minimum wage?

Are you smart enough to understand the idea that you can afford rent if you have a few mates sharing rent, especially with a two bedroom apartment?


regardless of how he understands the chart, i think it is telling information (its obviously worded in such a way as to be biased and not genuinely at face value) but that doesnt mean the data is flawed, simply its presentation of it.

-------
Do not abandon yourselves to despair.
We are the Easter people and hallelujah is our song.

Pope John Paul II


3:15 pm on Mar. 26, 2012 | Joined: Nov. 2004 | Days Active: 2,448
Join to learn more about barnabas Texas, United States | Straight Female | Posts: 79,921 | Points: 117,521
Daedalus


#teamVA

Patron
Tech Support Leader
Reply
Quote: from DiamondRio at 6:10 pm on Mar. 26, 2012

My boyfriend lives off miniumum wage and works 100 hours per week. You can't live off it at 40 hours. Don't make min wage.
So he works 14 hour days, 7 days a week?


-------
A child's rhyme stuck in my head.  It said that life is but a dream.
I've spent so many years in question to find I've known this all along.

3:16 pm on Mar. 26, 2012 | Joined: June 2010 | Days Active: 1,388
Join to learn more about Daedalus Virginia, United States | Straight Male | Posts: 36,939 | Points: 152,468
barnabas


#teamVA

Patron
Reply
Quote: from DiamondRio at 6:10 pm on Mar. 26, 2012

My boyfriend lives off miniumum wage and works 100 hours per week. You can't live off it at 40 hours. Don't make min wage.

how many jobs does he have?

-------
Do not abandon yourselves to despair.
We are the Easter people and hallelujah is our song.

Pope John Paul II


3:17 pm on Mar. 26, 2012 | Joined: Nov. 2004 | Days Active: 2,448
Join to learn more about barnabas Texas, United States | Straight Female | Posts: 79,921 | Points: 117,521
Forever Angel


Time Enough for Love

Sustainer
Reply
Anyone who continues to work for minimum wage after six months probably doesn't deserve to have a job. Minimum wage jobs are NOT careers. At best they are entry level positions, but generally they are for unskilled who still live with their parents and don't have rent to pay.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=50409

-------
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's learning how to dance in the rain
"What one person receives without working for,
another person must work for without receiving."


3:24 pm on Mar. 26, 2012 | Joined: Dec. 2005 | Days Active: 3,137
Join to learn more about Forever Angel Kansas, United States | Female | Posts: 59,035 | Points: 126,504
( King Kong  )


My Precious

Patron
Reply
I'd like to point out that rent does not include other costs. But let's not go to deep in to that tonight

-------
The world would be a poorer place without Doctor Who - Steven Spielberg

Follow me on twitter: @IrfonPennant

3:24 pm on Mar. 26, 2012 | Joined: Feb. 2006 | Days Active: 2,630
Join to learn more about King Kong Wales | Straight Male | Posts: 47,653 | Points: 74,095
lollerwhat


Dairy Product Addict
Reply
Quote: from heat23 at 3:14 pm on Mar. 26, 2012

It all depends on how much rent is & where yu live. Rents in ca are outragious & unjustified but the landlords get away with it.

You should have tried reading the OP before making yourself look this bad.

-------
LW as a community supports and encourages false
accusations of sex crimes, especially against children.


3:28 pm on Mar. 26, 2012 | Joined: Oct. 2010 | Days Active: 698
Join to learn more about lollerwhat Texas, United States | Posts: 18,337 | Points: 24,804
barnabas


#teamVA

Patron
Reply
Quote: from Forever Angel at 6:24 pm on Mar. 26, 2012

Anyone who continues to work for minimum wage after six months probably doesn't deserve to have a job. Minimum wage jobs are NOT careers. At best they are entry level positions, but generally they are for unskilled who still live with their parents and don't have rent to pay.  

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=50409


thats not really fair. there are plenty of people who work minimum wage jobs because of a lack of training or education that has nothing to do with how much they "deserve a job" or if they do or dont live with their parents.

I am thinking primarily of limited english language immigrants, high school drop outs, etc. you can be an adult and functioning in life and earning minimum wage or darn close to it simply because of the unfortunate consequences of certain situations.

-------
Do not abandon yourselves to despair.
We are the Easter people and hallelujah is our song.

Pope John Paul II


3:34 pm on Mar. 26, 2012 | Joined: Nov. 2004 | Days Active: 2,448
Join to learn more about barnabas Texas, United States | Straight Female | Posts: 79,921 | Points: 117,521
Forever Angel


Time Enough for Love

Sustainer
Reply
Quote: from barnabas at 5:34 pm on Mar. 26, 2012

Quote: from Forever Angel at 6:24 pm on Mar. 26, 2012

Anyone who continues to work for minimum wage after six months probably doesn't deserve to have a job. Minimum wage jobs are NOT careers. At best they are entry level positions, but generally they are for unskilled who still live with their parents and don't have rent to pay.

 http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=50409


thats not really fair. there are plenty of people who work minimum wage jobs because of a lack of training or education that has nothing to do with how much they "deserve a job" or if they do or dont live with their parents.  

I am thinking primarily of limited english language immigrants, high school drop outs, etc. you can be an adult and functioning in life and earning minimum wage or darn close to it simply because of the unfortunate consequences of certain situations.


Generally, those "unfortunate consequences" are the results of decisions made by those "poor unfortunate" individuals. As an adult, if the best job they can qualify for is a minimum wage position, they have chosen the wrong "career path".

-------
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's learning how to dance in the rain
"What one person receives without working for,
another person must work for without receiving."

3:39 pm on Mar. 26, 2012 | Joined: Dec. 2005 | Days Active: 3,137
Join to learn more about Forever Angel Kansas, United States | Female | Posts: 59,035 | Points: 126,504
lollerwhat


Dairy Product Addict
Reply
FA is trying to talk about jobs again as if she's ever had one?

https://www.killeenisd.org/departmentDocs/c1012/documents/approvedPayRanges2008.pdf

A lot of the aides and manual trades jobs in schools are pretty close to minimum wage.  I'm pretty sure that FA would claim that a cafeteria worker or janitor in the public school system deserves to make $7.36 for the first year or so of their career.  I bet she'd claim that all of those people are just kids who are living with their parents.

-------
LW as a community supports and encourages false
accusations of sex crimes, especially against children.


3:45 pm on Mar. 26, 2012 | Joined: Oct. 2010 | Days Active: 698
Join to learn more about lollerwhat Texas, United States | Posts: 18,337 | Points: 24,804
barnabas


#teamVA

Patron
Reply
Quote: from Forever Angel at 6:39 pm on Mar. 26, 2012

Quote: from barnabas at 5:34 pm on Mar. 26, 2012

Quote: from Forever Angel at 6:24 pm on Mar. 26, 2012

Anyone who continues to work for minimum wage after six months probably doesn't deserve to have a job. Minimum wage jobs are NOT careers. At best they are entry level positions, but generally they are for unskilled who still live with their parents and don't have rent to pay.    

  http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=50409


 

 thats not really fair. there are plenty of people who work minimum wage jobs because of a lack of training or education that has nothing to do with how much they "deserve a job" or if they do or dont live with their parents.

 I am thinking primarily of limited english language immigrants, high school drop outs, etc. you can be an adult and functioning in life and earning minimum wage or darn close to it simply because of the unfortunate consequences of certain situations.


Generally, those "unfortunate consequences" are the results of decisions made by those "poor unfortunate" individuals. As an adult, if the best job they can qualify for is a minimum wage position, they have chosen the wrong "career path".

I fully agree, but that doesnt mean they dont deserve a job. I agree with you 100% that they chose the path that they are on. but to say they dont deserve to work at all or that they live with their parents so it doesnt matter isnt really fair.

-------
Do not abandon yourselves to despair.
We are the Easter people and hallelujah is our song.

Pope John Paul II


3:46 pm on Mar. 26, 2012 | Joined: Nov. 2004 | Days Active: 2,448
Join to learn more about barnabas Texas, United States | Straight Female | Posts: 79,921 | Points: 117,521
Pages: 1 2 3 4 .. 24 25 26 27  Next » Email Print Favorite

Quick Reply

You are signed in as our guest.

Looking for something else?
 

  LiveWire / Teen Forums / Politics & Government / Viewing Topic